The most basic but healthy tomato sauce. Perfect for a in-a-rush meal and perfect for kids.
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tsp mixed herbs
- Handful of fresh basil (Optional)
- Sweat the onion and garlic in a pan until softened with no colour.
- Add the tin of tomatoes, tomato puree and mixed herbs.
- Simmer gently for 10-15 minutes until thick and rich.
- Season to serve.
- Replace tomato puree with harissa paste for a tomato and harissa sauce.
- Add vegetables such as mushrooms, peppers, courgette, aubergine, leek, fresh tomatoes etc.